I wish I could not answer this question, but there have been
times where I have let my emotions get the best of me and pushed me to the edge
of breaking my moral code. For me, I am passionate about my work and my
friends, and as many may already know, blending friendship with work can lead
to problems. When I was in High School, I worked with my father in the family
business as a home remodeler. I loved working with my father and I was able to
do something that came natural to me while learning new skills as the years
went on. It was like the phrase “it is not work if you enjoy doing it.” But
once the financial crisis hit the United States, my job became problematic. We
started losing clients because they ran out of money or they did not have money
to afford a remodel of their kitchen or bathroom. The pay checks decreased and
the tension between my dad and I did as well. I was used to getting paid on a
normal schedule every two weeks. At first it was the size of the check that
began to shrink, even as I put in more hours than normal. I approached my dad
and let him know he could lower my checks so that we could pull more money in
for the family than myself. This worked temporarily, but then I started getting
nothing. I was not concerned at the time because it was my father and I knew
the stress he went through every day as he tried getting more clients. But it
was causing tension between my father and I, and when it hit 2 months without a
pay check, I lost my “cool.” I fought with my dad and said things that I wish I
could take back. I had lost my moral boundaries and I almost ruined my
relationship with my father. I refused to talk to him and I practically shunned
him for awhile. Eventually, I realized I had clearly over reacted, and my
mother wanted to make sure our relationship was mended before I started
college. Of course I was mad at my dad, but what I should have done was just
stopped working for him and help him out instead of lashing out on him, adding
more stress on him. My emotions clearly got the best of me, but it was an event
in which I will always remember that I let myself go too far.
Having abilities that are hiding, unless activated, would
allow living a normal life much easier than having visible abilities that pick
out of a crowd. Being someone like Night crawler would prove to be a very
difficult task. No amount of “makeup” or clothes can hide the blue skin and the
tail; his abilities are for the world to see. Trying to live a normal life
would almost be unbearable. You couldn’t walk into a room without anyone not
staring at you and hearing people whisper the word “freak” as you walk by. What
is sad is that this actually happens in real life. People who are different
than the ideal individual are criticized for being different. For example,
those who have physical disabilities or handicaps are permanently left with
their condition. Someone who comes back from a war without legs will never get
those legs back. When that individual rides into a coffee shop in his wheel
chair, people turn and look at the areas where he used to have legs. Now, if
someone had powers similar to storm and Jean Grey, living a normal lifestyle
would be much easier. Their abilities are hidden unless activated, so they can
walk into a coffee shop and order their latte without being stared at. Someone
from the LGBT community can live a lifestyle of “normality” because their “difference”
is not necessarily a physical attribute. You cannot point out someone out of a
crowd and confidently say “oh, that girl is a lesbian.” However, someone may
dress to the social expectation of someone that is homosexual, in which then
the physical attribute will point them out of crowd, but that is because they
chose to dress that way. Nightcrawler was born blue, he did not get to choose
what he looked like when he woke up in the morning as he got ready for the day.
By showing the struggles the mutants like Nightcrawler face,
can be a source of reflection for those who want to find a place in society. People
can identify with this struggle and understand that they are not alone.
Nightcrawler and Beast find themselves a place in society with the X-men, even
with their “disabilities.” This could be the sign for those looking for a place
to fit in to help them on their quest to find it.
When it comes to relating to a specific mutant, I would have
to say I connect more with Magneto surprisingly. The reason why I say this is
because I agree, to a certain extent, that those who mistreat the underprivileged
or those who are considered different in society need to be brought to justice.
Hate crimes leave me speechless and, unfortunately happen too often. I see
Magneto as a symbol of “Justice” for the minorities in this world. Magneto is a
minority himself, or was one, during a time of intense hatred towards the
Jewish population in Germany in the 1940s. And he is a mutant! I know this
seems really corny, but I want to see better treatment of those who are less privileged
and those who are thrown out of society because they are different; basically,
I want to see a just world.
I enjoyed reading your story about your father and you. When the finical crises hit I think we all had to learn to scale back a little. I remember I used to work for my uncle (who did a lot of construction) and when the crises hit my pay also got affected but not as greatly as yours. I was understanding of this cut in pay and I think my uncle was grateful for that and I was grateful just to have a job.
ReplyDelete