Sunday, April 14, 2013

Reflections #11



Obviously, the coach tells tome he can no longer play on the team because of his seizures, because they would be a liability issue if he were to get seriously hurt on the court. I have not been in this situation before, but I may have reacted the same way Thom did; I would be extremely pissed because people would be denying me a chance to do something I love due to the fact that I have something that I cannot fully control. My parents would react in the same way I did and would be furious with my coach. Or, at least I would hope that my parents would stand by me on this.
What Ruth told Thom is pretty much what my mom told me when I was a freshman in high school. I was slipping in my grades, playing nothing but video games, and generally doing nothing with my life. My mom came up to me one day and told me to get off my butt and to do something with my life, because nothing was going to magically come to me. It took me awhile to realize that I was going to be just a bum living in my parents’ house if I did not get my focus back and find something to do with my life. I knew I wanted to go to college, so I kicked it into gear and brought my grades back up, applied for schools, got in, and picked this college. I am in charge of my happiness by getting good grades, getting involved on campus, and meeting new people. I have been able to have amazing experiences here at this school and in Washington D.C when I was studying off-campus for a semester. Ruth essentially was telling Thom to be in charge of his happiness and that life does not just come to him on a silver platter, he has to work for it.
I feel that everyone has a moment when people cheer them on for something. It can be anything from writing a paper or winning a gold medal in the Olympics. And everyone is important to someone in this universe. I have been cheered on before for a handful of things, including running for a position in my fraternity, a sport, a band concert, and just random pickup games of some sport during daycare when I was little. Everyone can gain a bit of self-confidence when they hear people cheer their name and here they yell encouraging words.
Well, I do not remember my first kiss so I can’t really comment on that, because it was in grade school. The “perfect first kiss” would probably not involve slobber and all that gross junk. But it isn’t perfect until you find someone that you truly love and care about, because then you no its real. I would say my only celebrity crush was on Olivia Wilde, but I honestly do not have a “crushes” on celebrities. Crushes give us something to dream about and wish we have, so in return, we work towards getting something similar to it.

1 comment:

  1. I like how you added that to get happiness, we have to work for it. If we don't work for something that we want and still get it, we will continue to think we will get things without working.

    ReplyDelete