After reading and watching the Watchmen, I began to really
think about the whole idea of being a superhero. In my mind originally, I
pictured superheroes as the greatest version of oneself; super abilities,
morally straightforward, and fighting for the sake of mankind. Superman,
Batman, and Wonder Woman all possess these traits, but are they really
superheroes? They live in a imaginative world, with no real life scenarios that
take place that we, as readers, can reflect and find connections with these
make believe heroes. Sure, writers and artists reflect what they create on the
times at hand, by incorporating global events like Vietnam and the Cold War.
But these superheroes are still fictional characters living in an almost perfect
world, were the good guy trumps the bad guy, and the good versus evil aspect
always ends with good on top. Now, when I look at Watchman, I see what a “real
life” superhero is. These are not even heroes, but just your average Joe bored
with their lives and saw putting on a costume as a way to better themselves and
to find their identity. Their world is much like our world, where rape, drugs,
violence, and corruption fuels society. The society that they “help” rejects
them and sees them as outcasts, officially banning them of their duties by an
act created by the United State government. The only true “superhero” in the
story is Dr. Manhattan, but he so disconnected with humanity that he really
just acts as a robot working for the government. Overall, what I am trying to
say is that this graphic novel is incredible. As weird as it sounds, I want to
see more novels like this. I enjoy reading books and things related that the
characters in the story face problems and actually fail them. I HATE happy
endings, because not every story has a good guy win in the end. I apologize if
I offend anyone’s love for superheroes, but this is just how I feel about the concept.
I was also thinking about superheroes in the real world. I was wondering if we actually had them would they really take the traits of Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman and go beyond the call of duty to create a better world. Or would they be like the Watchmen and do it for their own personal gain. Watchmen wasn't the greatest novel to me, but that's just my opinion. I'm glad you liked it however.
ReplyDelete